Where: Coos County, Oregon (43.4° N, 124.2° W: paleocoordinates 43.4° N, 122.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Empire Formation, Early/Lower Pliocene (5.3 - 3.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Empire Fm, which is overlain by the Elk River Fm. THICKNESS: From bed within formation that reaches a thickness of 500 ft. AGE: Miocene according to Arnold and Hannibal (1913). More recent publications (Hertlein and Crickmay, 1925) indicate an Early Pliocene age. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From basal sandstone within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: H. Hannibal (c 1910's). REPOSITORY: Unknown, not stated.
Primary reference: R. Arnold and H. Hannibal. 1913. The marine Tertiary stratigraphy of the North Pacific coast of America. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 52(212):559-605 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 71153: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 20.04.2007
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)